Enough Salt?

February 23, 2022

Joe Dillon holding hand weights for the article Enough Salt?

Are you salting your Joe Dillon Shake?

If you are not currently salting your Joe Dillon shakes to taste, you are missing out on at least 3 major benefits:
1) Salting your shake to taste will significantly enhance the flavor and enjoyment of your shakes.
2) you will be getting an added daily supply of your most important electrolyte: sodium chloride. Iodized salt is best.
3) you enjoy even more energy from your Joe Dillon shake.

Salt, like saturated fat, has been demonized.

Salt or more specifically sodium, is supposedly a major cause of hypertension (high blood pressure). It turns out that sodium / salt only causes hypertension in people who are sodium sensitive. Unlike carbohydrate-intolerance or sugar-sensitivity which affects about 85% of people, sodium-sensitivity only affects about 10% of people. So we demonize sodium to help 10% of the people – meanwhile we are hurting the other 90%. Doesn’t that seem a little backward to you? As backward as praising sugar (carbohydrates) which destroys the health of about 85% of people.

Based on a massive study on over 200,000 people in 17 countries published in 2012 in the European Heart Journal, 90% of us need approximately 1-2 teaspoons of salt a day. Lack of an optimal amount of salt each day increases our risk of heart disease by 50%.

Salt is so essential that if we don’t get enough we develop salt-hunger. It is no accident people crave salty chips. Keep the salt. Loose the carbs and the pro-inflammatory omega-6 fat.

With low carbohydrate living, we want to eat fat to satiety. For optimal health we want to salt our meals to taste. As to our mantra “Listen to your body”, salt to satisfaction.

As Dr. Stephen Phinney, M.D., PhD. states in his books – when you feel a little tired or sluggish, you may not need another blast of dehydrating caffeine. You may, in fact, need a dose of salt. It’s your body telling you it’s time for a cup or two of salty broth.

If you snack on hard boiled eggs (a great snack anytime), dip your egg in salt with each bite.

If you snack on macadamia nuts (the healthiest nut by far – lowest in carbohydrates and all the fat is healthy fat) make sure you get the salted kind.

If you like your eggs fried (in coconut oil or bacon grease), salt your eggs to taste for a real treat.

If you prefer my Natural Chocolate in your Joe Dillon shake, salt to taste to really bring out the flavor. Think of salted dark chocolate.

If you prefer Natural Vanilla, extra salt will make it super yummy Vanilla Vanilla.

With your big leafy green salads, use plenty of olive oil or avocado oil and a generous amount of salt for a super healthy, super delicious meal. For an even greater treat, add some avocado and a can of salmon packed in olive oil.

Thank once again for your support. I appreciate you. Here’s to healthy families and long, high quality lives.

Coach Joe